In fond memory of the PCO

For those unaware with the Indian lingo, PCO stands for Public Call Office which in my opinion was just a glamorous name for a telephone booth. "STD" stands for Subscriber Trunk Dialing, again a fancy name for national calls in my opinion, while "ISD" stands for International Subscriber Dialing which is pretty much what it sounds like.

There used to be a time when these little telephone booths would be queued from front to back with people just waiting to make a phone call. That time could've been anywhere from 10 years ago, to 5 years ago - but definitely not after that. That was the era of the PCO, when mobile phones were still very expensive and, therefore, uncommon in India.

That was the time when every news that had to be relayed, good or bad, would be relayed in the confines of such PCO booths. Although landline telephones were commonplace then, most of them would not have the facility to make STD/ISD calls. Hence the importance of the PCO.

I still remember making my way to a little booth at the Kolkata Airport, everytime, while on my way home from my school in Chennai. There I would be, in line with many people wishing to do the same thing that I was there for - convey the news that I'd landed safely at Kolkata. Now whenever I am at the same airport, I never fail to notice the deserted look that booth wears. And in contrast, I see people hurriedly switching on their cell phones and either dialing or texting their folks of their safe arrival. That includes me as well. Same news, different means.

Telephone tariffs then would be a bit complex to remember as well. I vaguely remember it being half price after 9PM or something, and that would be the best time to expect or make long distance national calls. It also meant that the PCO would be the most packed on those times! Of course, there were a lot more timings and rates in between which I never cared to remember, and therefore cannot recall now.

One can never forget the many hours of shy conversations that were exchanged in many such PCO booths with adolescent crushes. All in the name of love, closing the flimsy booth door so that the conversation remained off-limits for everyone else. Purposely trapping oneself in the tiny 2x2 cublicle with only a little fan for air circulation. That unbearable heat in an even hotter Indian summer. And that whirring of that fan. All of it taken, accepted, and borne. All in the name of love. Now, it's all about text messages.

Spare a minute in the memory of the PCO, and also to your experiences there. I'm sure there are many!

Comments

  1. Wonderfully presented bro!! not to forget the long queues in front of the phone room during our hostel days..met so many of our friends while waiting to make a call...very well written

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo chora yet another reflective note you have pulled through…I can relate to this more than anybody could, I didn’t have a cellphone until I completed my graduation; It was because of my college hostel, which was so strict if we were caught owning a cellphone, we would have been thrown out of the hostel and also have our cell phones confiscated Yes I have lived in a convent like hostel for 3 years…Phew

    I have spend quite a lot of time in the PCOs across North campus calling mom dad sisters friends and ofcourse my estranged boyfriend…… I even knew which PCO had a defect in the meter reading :) I managed to save some out of that…hehehe
    Great write-up…kinda of nostalgic…just made me realize the bliss of not having a cellphone to hound you 24 hours…the excitement of waiting for a phone call amongst the 150 odd girls in a hostel….writing letters and having so much to talk about :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ama :) Glad you could relate to it so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all Nati...great pictures...all complete with the tiny fan in the cubicle...:)...Well written as always and...reminded me of "my PCO days" i used to wait for the half rate too and used to call up my parents from the PCO in Mahalaxmi Layout Entrance Bangalore everytime I got home sick. Hmm it just seems like yesterday...but that was like 2002...hmm 7 years back...this one sure is an ode to the good old PCO days :)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha.. thank you boju :) but the pics are not mine, I took them off the internet :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I seemed to have missed this post! But a wonderful one. God do I miss those days. Standing outside the PCO booth waiting to call up Miss X; Those heartbreaks and the much cherished moments! It was LEGENDARY!

    Now all we have is a stupid cell phone, which rings all the time, and which bestows upon u a personality, but has none of its own! I sometimes hate the cell phone age and wanna go back to the PCO gen. It had more suspense and much more innocence, all we have today is drama!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Anant. And yes, sometimes I also feel that the cell phone is really what its name implies - a "Cell" (prison)!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Liked it, loved it, loathed it... Would be great if you let me know!

Popular Posts