Recall: Alvin Martin

Alvin Martin, SMIT 2000-2004

"Khamoshhhhhhhh!" goes the trademark dialogue of one of India's famous actors, Shatrughan Sinha. And that was just one of the many names by which the subject of this recall was known - a lot of other names being "Mr. Gentleman walk", "Mallu", and so on. Occasionally in the corridors of 3rd floor I block of the SMIT hostel , an imitation artist would surface - such was his talent that he would "khamosh" the great Shatrughan Sinha himself with his act, to peals of laughter and rounds of applause from the sparse audience!

Meet Chaturey, aka Alvin Martin.

A very sophisticated and classy chap whom I got introduced to in my early days in SMIT, he had the look of somebody who was "decent", and one who came from a well-to-do family. No he didn't need to mouth these words - it was apparent from his dressing sense and his hairstyle! 'Immaculate' would be the word if I had to describe him, and I trust the others will agree with me.

As boys always do, we had a lot (and I mean 'a lot') of fights in college. In every fight, there would be Chaturey who'd come smack in the middle of it, making an entry as dynamically as any Bollywood movie hero - and then the rest of the fight would go in trying to restrain him. In fact, so dynamic would be his entry that it prompted some of our friends to call him "Dynamic Entry" after just a few fights.

A devout Catholic, he rarely missed his church sessions on Sundays. Even in Majhitar and also in Bangalore, I've seen him head religiously to the church on a lot of weekends.

One of the most vivid memories I have relating Chaturey is of our Kolkata trip in 2002-03. We'd gone there for a month long industrial training which, though not necessary for us in that particular semester, was something we did more because we wanted to be in a 'city' rather than learn something technical. And even if the others deny this, I'll still hold my ground on this point! As soon as we landed in Kolkata, we had the supreme Sumiran incident (more on this in Sumiran's recall). I'll never forget Chaturey's reaction to it - a testimony to his nickname! I'll also never forget how we, the underprivileged "Unicore" guys, survived - yes, survived - that month in Kolkata. We were penniless, were paying for our training, sharing our cab fare down to the last paisa, having puri-sabji-tea for breakfast by the roadside, calculating on how much to spend for lunch each day and also for the cigarette after that... As college goers we were half-skeletons when we had reached Kolkata; by the end of it all that remained on our bones was gaunt flesh and no meat.

In the same month in Kolkata, on one weekend I'd gone to Jamshedpur with another friend to visit Garima - she was doing her industrial training there. That weekend the boys went to the discotheque of Hotel Taj Bengal, called "Incognito". From what I heard, Chaturey and Sunil went up to the bartender, and very arrogantly asked for "two large vodkas with Sprite, please". They later revealed that they'd picked this up after listening to some people order their drinks! The bartender quickly did his thing, and the two of them had two tall glasses of vodkas with Sprite in it. Along with that came its bill, and the two almost dropped their jaws to the slick dance floor when they saw, for the first time in their lives, a bill of about Rs. 750/- for two vodkas with Sprite! Studying in Sikkim we were used to two full bottles of vodka for that price, with the Sprite thrown in! Understandably, they had to confirm, and reconfirm, and again reconfirm the amount with the bartender. In the end, they shook their heads, paid the amount (having had to borrow some), and gave a taste of the "most expensive vodka so far" to all the boys there. Everyone else, too, were flabbergasted, and I can only imagine them sipping on that vodka almost with reverence.

Chaturey's recall will never be complete without the mention of the love he so valiantly fought for. His fight against a daughter's obedience, and against a society's stern code. His fight for a good many years, squeezing the last bit of his heart for her. A fight so gallant and so earnest that one can only imagine, respect and revere it. For that, my friend, we are all very proud of you.

I've had a few tiffs with Chaturey too - and it has only helped us strengthen our friendship. I am largely indebted to this guy, who along with all of my friends fought for me when I was hospitalized in a fight. Who did late nights helping with the design of my electronic car in college, for my mini-project. Who came up to me and said that I sang "Pahilo junima" very well in college - probably the only compliment I've got from him on my singing, which is why it makes it that much more valuable!

It is needless to say that Chaturey is the key think-tank of our brotherhood - it is for us to realize and for him to know. He is our Chaturey, a dear friend, and a dearer brother.

Comments

  1. Rahul very nice post.. I love the disc part :).. and also can imagine the endless torture alvin n sunil must've gone through for their "2 vodka with sprite"..u guys really must've killed them with ur teasing..
    Alvin for me has always been the quiet, reserved and intellectual kind..though his funny side comes out quite often but in the group he's comfy with..
    just want to wish alvin the very best in life in whatever he does..

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank u :)
    my recalls are mainly from my experiences - the point is to incite the feeling to all the readers who know the person who is being recalled so that they can add to it in their comments.. makes for really good reading u know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Two large vodkas with sprite, please" - I can never forget this particular incident. I remember asking the bartender thrice (yes, thrice) if he actually said Rs. 750. On the third time the bartender explanined how it amounted to 750 - 300 each for large vodka and 75 each for spirte. 75 for sprite...come on.. i could have got 7 bottle of sprite for that amount. And he didn't even pour the enitre bottle of sprite. I can still clearly see those half "full" bottle of sprite that he kept behind him... After having unwilling paid the amount, we called the guys from the dance floor and gave them the "opportunity" to sip the most expensive drink we had had then.

    Since this is my recall written by Rahul... i would like you all to know about an episode..
    It was one of the parties that we had in Daniel's. After the ususal, dancing, laughing, few beer, Babu, Ritesh, Rahul and myself decided to head back to the hostel. Since it was already late... i think it was around 9:30 pm (yeah 9:30 pm is late in a village like Majhitar) Daniel uncle (owner of the restaurant) agreed to drop us in his car. When we reached the entrance of SMIT we saw Mr. Jhamal Hussien (Maths professor) and he saw us too. So we decided to go back and crash at Yankeshs' for for the night coz going to the hostel wouldn't have been a good idea as Mr. Hussien has seen us. Daniel uncle told us that he would take a U turn from maal road circle. Unfortunately the car stopped right at the circle and wouldn't start again. So we had to push the car down hill toward girls hostel to get it started. When we were ready to head back, i looked for Rahul... i was shocked to see him running towards girls hostel...baby and myself ran behind him to get him in the car. We caught him few meters from the girls hostel and managed to get him in the car. For the girls looking at us from their balcony it must have looked like a hindi movie kidnapping scene lol... in the car i asked Rahul what was he trying to do.. and guess what he had to say.. " I was going to meet my girlfriend"... lol

    Since Rahul has mentioned about the love that I fought for and lost.. here is something i wrote the day I accepted that I had actually lost...

    http://alvinmartinblog.blogspot.com/2008/01/today-i-die-born-again-tomorrow.html

    Garima - thanks for the wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one Chaturey :P
    I missed out on some of the points. For instance, the first guy to get a CD player stereo to college, the first guy to get a mobile phone to college... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes and one more point, the date for this post is shown as June18 on the top although I officially published this post last evening (June24), that is because I started writing this on that day. However had been busy so couldn't really sit and complete it. Could only manage to do it last night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha ha yeah i can brag about the CD player and the mobile lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Rahul: Why did I have this gut feeling Nati that the next person you'd write about was Alvin...:)
    This one makes me smile throughout...very well written!
    @ Alvin: Some battles are fought and lost yet won in a million ways...
    And how smart of Rahul to hide the running towards the girls hostel part :p..if not for u Alvin we would have never known.

    ReplyDelete
  8. who can forget his famous CATWALK guys...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Maiiya: Boju, it was always gonna be Chaturey.. But like I always maintain, this series is in no predefined order :) Oh and yeah, regarding the girls hostel episode, well, I don't remember it well you see :P
    @Ritesh: Dude, that was one helluva point haha... I had to leave out a lot of interesting bits - some I forgot, some were censored :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chaturax.... yeah, that's one of his many names :)....
    How will i ever forget that its this guy who i had my first joint and also my first smoke with... It was he that actually handed me my first cigi in college.. :)

    The usual 2 "bakras" during the sems :P

    One incident i remember is our AEC lab.. Me and Chaturay, just like everytime, memorised all the experiments we had done for the subject during the sem. In the list of experiments we had one called the step ladder or ladder or something like that.. Can't recall the exact name... While in our class we had performed this experiment using only 2 kinds of resistance that is 20 ohms and 10 ohms...
    When we walked in for the exams we were as always handed out our equipments for the experiment and a coincedence we both got the same experiment , "The Ladder" to do :)... As i had mugged up the stuff immediately recalled the 2 types of resistance and told Chaturax the Brown one is 20 and the red one is 10... I never in my life had imagined that the thickness of the color band could also change the resistance amt....
    We both started of really fast knowing that once we get the graph going we would never flunk even if we did not answer any questions during the viva... Now it so happened that we were not given 20 and 10 but instead given 3 different types of it, 22 10 and 1 and we had to do the experiment using all 3 of them..,
    Ofcourse as expected neither of us could do the experiment properly and as always neither of us was prepared for the viva too.....
    Guys should have seen Chaturay's face when we left the exam hall... he was all over me, "taile gaarda sala mero practical ma back laagyo"...
    Luckily neither of us failed, which to this day has remained a mystery to me...

    There are lots of such incidents involving the two of us and our practicals :)

    Life would never have been as it is without u bro...

    ReplyDelete
  11. ha ha ha i remember the AEC labs.....atleast now we know that the thickness of the colours has got some meaning...lol....
    I remember the viva of that lab... the external asked me few questions...and obviously i didn't know the answers...so finally he asked "what do you know?" and my answer was "I do not know anything about electronics"... yeah i said that to the external..knowing that we are going to flunk as our experiment wasn't gettting executed (thanks to Babu)
    And about the mystery....i think we managed to get thru as we manipulated the graph at the last moment and drew a proper graph in the paper....as it is manipulation was our "thing"...Babu, remember the .txt files we had stored for one of the computer lab exams? had it not been for those .txt files i would have flunked in that exam... lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah those .txt files.. I think you guys had kept them in a computer on the network and that was accessible from all the other comps on the network rite? lol...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Liked it, loved it, loathed it... Would be great if you let me know!

Popular Posts