Loss of a King

Michael Joseph Jackson, 1958 - 2009

It was a bright Friday morning as I made my way to my cubicle in office. After driving in the congested Bangalore traffic, I was ready for some leisurely email reading before preparing for the hectic day ahead. But I was in for a shocker.

As soon as I logged on to my Facebook page, I saw almost all my friends had their status message as "RIP MJ". I was surprised, and shocked. This was not expected! Though I've never been a huge fan of Michael Jackson, I did love a lot of his songs - and as an early morning unexpected news, this was way up there for me. I quickly did an internet search, and I felt numbness as the web pages displayed in front of me confirmed the news. "Michael Jackson is no more", they read.

Songs like "Heal the world", "Billie Jean", "Thriller", "Beat it", "Black or White", "Earth Song" - these are just a few names in the never ending MJ jukebox list. We've all heard these songs, and at some point of time have loved them, hummed them, sang them, or even tried moon-walking on them. Though MJ had a declining career graph for the last so many years, he was undoubtedly, the King of Pop. And with a huge tour planned for the next month - the news of his death was totally, well, devastating.

MJ might have been ridiculed, accused or even scorned at in his lifetime - but his music has definitely silenced a lot of those critics, for good. The music world has lost not just a celebrity, but it has lost a star, a legend - a king.

RIP, Michael Jackson.


Listen to one of his songs below, from "Free Willy" OST called "Will you be there".
Michael Jackson - ...

Comments

  1. Well even I wasn’t a great fan of MJ ….nevertheless I was shocked and felt the same numbness when I heard of his sudden demise. Reminiscing all his acclaimed songs…heal the world tops the chart for me…. RIP Michal Jackson!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Ama.. it's like you're so used to a person being alive that his/her death comes as a shocker... MJ was always supposed to be there - dancing, singing, hogging the headlines.. and suddenly, one day, he's not there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impermenance strikes hard onceagain...well just a testimony to that...or may be i was getting out of track for sometime

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't a huge fan either, but i did love some of his songs where heal the word topped my list..its a loss for the world..

    ur note is really nice too..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm reading your post did make me realise the loss... Its true I ain't a big fan of Michael Jackson today, but I have to admit one of the first songs I hummed as a kid was "Coz I'm BAD" by Michael Jackson, and I still remember the "Do You Remember the Time" video that used to be continously played on MTV when it first started in India. The Slash solo in "Give in to Me" still gives me goose bumps, not to mention the solos by Eddie Van Halen in "Beat It" and "Dirty Diana". All greatest classics you can ever hear. As he fades away from memory I am proud to claim that I grew up listening to that Legacy that Michael was and will be for time to come. Just like Freedie Mercury his loss too will not come in the way of his music staying alive for generations to come... We will still have kids tomorrow humming the "Heal the world" tunes and telling us how great Jackson's songs are. I dont think it is a huge loss, as his creation will remain with us for probably all our life time, something human life never can! Although he has passed away like all of us eventually will, he has left behind his creations, his legacy and his rhythm for us and for the generations to come.

    Let us all respect that and salute this hero who gave us so much in whatever time he had among us!

    Cheers...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Liked it, loved it, loathed it... Would be great if you let me know!

Popular Posts