Nokia E63: What I think of it

Click here for image source
Hello!

After speculating and introspecting for quite sometime on whether or not I needed a business phone, I finally purchased the Nokia E63 a few days ago. And to be honest, I'm loving this powerhorse!

My criteria was simple: I needed a phone where I could configure my corporate mail box, because it was now getting increasingly necessary for me to be able to receive, read and reply to emails on the go. I also could do with a decent application editing for instance Word, Excel, presentations. I have never been a fan of the 'Touch' phones (probably the only exceptions would be the iPHONE and more recently, the LG Cookie), and I definitely didn't want a high-end PDA; and definitely not one with a touch screen. Another important criteria was a good QWERTY keyboard and WI-FI capabilities. Finally, my last criteria was the budget. I only wanted to spend a maximum of INR 15k for my upgrade from my N81 with which I was very happy.

Features like camera, music player, games etc were not at all a top priority for me. However I wouldn't want their total absence; basic camera and music player would've worked for me. And I was willing to forego games on my targeted phone.

So after Goog'ling for such a phone, I got to know of the Nokia E series. And then the E63. It fit my bill to the T.

I purchased a red E63 for INR 12,679/- from The Mobile Store, and like I said, I'm loving it.

The feel and grip of the phone is good. The robbery finish on the keypad is nice, and the phone is fingerprint resistant.

There are a LOT of customizable attributes here as you'd expect, and it works like a charm.

Touted as a stripped off version of the E71, the E63 doesn't leave much to be desired, except a metallic body, and GPS. Both devices use the same battery, and this means that the battery backup offered by the E63 is on par with the E71, and that is good.

The QWERTY keypad is nicely built, and quite easy to type. However it's taking me some getting used to - but that's expected since this is my first such keypad.

The Nokia website also touts the E63, praising it's messaging abilities, and all for a good cause. The dedicated messaging button makes life even easier for novices like me and I love it!

The Symbian 60 OS works fast and is very responsive. There is hardly any time lag between pressing a button and waiting for the function to start. And that's awesome.

As expected of any Nokia phone, phone quality and reception is good. The loudspeaker though not the best, does hold up good.

However, coming from an N series device, I do miss the dedicated volume keys at the side - the E63 doesn't have them. The camera is pretty ok but you can't really expect much from a 2MP camera, can you? But the lack of even a basic image editor quirked me. Nothing there except rotate. Sad.

Well as for the QuickOffice, I've typed this entire piece on the document creator there using my phone's QWERTY keypad. And coupled with the predictive text, life got much easier! :-)

My final comment would be that if your criteria matches with mine (stated above), then the Nokia E63 comes highly recommended. It's the perfect low-end business phone to start with, much like jumping from digital compact cameras to DSLR's.

Comments

  1. You have quite the capability to make a phone sound so....umm...great! he he...Probably Nokia should hire you for that or use this piece of work in their advertisements! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Typo Alert!!The word 'robbery' in the post is actually meant to be 'rubbery'. Apologies about that - typing on the QWERTY is definitely not as easy as people think!

    Another simple but nice feature I liked about this phone was that the keypad backlight detects the light presence and turns on the backlight depending on the strength of the light. So the keypad lights up only when there is not enough light. This was really cool - although I don't know how many will be fans of this feature, but I totally dug it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Dude on your new phone! Can you write a review on Alto LXI?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sash .. I 'can' and I 'will' write a review on the Alto LXi - after all first hand experience of 1.5 years hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alls well ends well! :-) Now get back to work on your Nokia E63 lol..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way to begin the morning!

    I got an email this morning on how to contact www.womworld.com to post one's reviews there. The reason was my E63 'personal experience' (less of a review, actually) had been featured there! That was good news for sure! :)

    Check the section below the comments "Links to this post" and that is where it can be found in WOMWorld :)

    Yaay! hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some More Points about Nokia E63

    I would've loved it if it was possible to charge this phone with the USB data cable (expected it to be present in a phone like the E63), but that's not to be. The only way to charge a phone is the conventional use-the-charger way only.

    In the E63 (and also other E series phones, I think) you can find a contact right from the desktop - you don't need to go to 'Contacts' and then search for the contact you're looking for. Right on the desktop, type in the alphabets of the contact to find and the list of matches appears right there, and they do so with the full action menu (call, SMS, Email, etc)! Saves a couple of button clicks than going to the 'Contacts' group as such :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    I am still thinking about choosing between S60 & Windows Mobile.

    Please publish your views if you have any. Your experience about running the utilities in any of these OS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bhairav,

    I sincerely wish I could help you out but being a novice business phone user myself, I really don't think I am in a situation to tell you which of the two is the better one.

    I don't have experience with the Windows Mobile, but applications on the S60 (E63) work just fine. I have installed some from the Nokia site and they have been working very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi can u tell about E63 Features like camera, music player is it good

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi gigi,
    The E63 camera is a basic 2MP camera, without autofocus. It's decent, takes ok pictures in daylight, but the flash actually does more harm than good.
    The music player too is fine - it's not as good as a Walkman series phone, but the E63 does just fine.
    Having said that, the E63 is not something people would buy for the camera or music - this phone is more for it's messaging and mailing capabilities. So if that's your criteria, then the E63 is recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chora you are E63 pro...people have flooded your post with lots of comments and queries wow :)

    have you tried voip? do you know how it function...I really need to make long distance calls :D Please help

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sybian interface needs a lot of tweaking, and I wish there were more apps etc but I can work with this. Limitations of micro SD and propietary NOKIA micro US. Low? price so they leave out case, data cable, wrist strp and memory card.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i agree with everything u said here. i have a Nokia E63.. and im in love with it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really good comments about the red e63.. Cool.. I have one too.. there are many different things you can do with this Nokia too.. from downloading and converting DVD or most any Video to it .. play Carmen Sandiego and a host of other games.. Python environment .. reading ebooks on it .. very clear words to read.. Jar or Chm or Html.. can actually view a complete flash based website .. although it is too small .. he he he .. can view .swf files but again the words are really tiny .. and more.. however, my query is .. how to copy sms to PC and then save these on the PC ... Ovisuite sets up a web based backup and can easy synch via bluetooth.. but to cut and paste each sms is getting tiresome fast.. have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just got this two days ago. It's a sweet phone, takes a little getting use to but, i'm getting the hang of it!

    If your thinking about buying this phone STOP thinking, just buy it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Liked it, loved it, loathed it... Would be great if you let me know!

Popular Posts