Being Bangalorean

I've been in Bangalore for about 6 years now. Minus a 6-month stint in Mumbai and also a 10-month stint in Hyderabad in between. That's about 5 years, give or take. Quite a lot of time. If it was America, I'd probably be in line for my Green Card application! Well, that was a joke.

Anyways, the thing is that after spending so much time in this city, it feels like home. Although I don't speak or understand the native tongue, and I still get lost in the city's endless maze of roads, this is home. And I was reminded of this fact by an ordinary incident about a week ago.

I was on my way to the NIIT Imperia study center in Jaya Nagar last Tuesday for an exam. I purposely didn't drive there because on two earlier occasions, I'd got lost there. For almost an hour each. So this time I smartened up and instead hired a rickshaw.

From my place in Cooke Town to Jaya Nagar, the rickshaw went through the MG Road. Now that is a busy place - some would even call it the heart of the city. And with some heavy-duty Metro construction going on, let's just say that it is not the most user friendly place around. At least for now.

So there I was, enjoying my little rickshaw ride and staring left-right and center from my passenger seat because it had been a while since I'd visited MG Road, even though I live just about 4-kilometers from there. And then I saw the boulevard, or what was left of it. What once used to be a really nice stretch of green is now a maze of concrete pillars. Thanks to Namma Metro.

That sight hurt. I don't know why.

I mean, I didn't consider myself to be like 100% Bangalorean, you know. But the boulevard - I had taken walks there in my early days in the city. Had sat there in the shade munching on some peanuts, lazying around with friends, and just watching the traffic go by. MG Road - the place with the "happening" Cafe Coffee Day and Barista where so many young people like me would have just sat, sipped on coffee and caught up with friends. And looking at the view in front of me, it felt like a million years ago.

"The price for development must be paid", I consoled myself like a wise guy.

I then fixed my gaze at the rickshaw's fare-meter which was galloping at an unbelievable rate.

"Welcome to Bangalore!", I sighed to myself.

(Below: MG Road as it used to be in 2007. Click here for the source.)









(Above: MG Road as on 2009 October. Click here for the source. )

Comments

  1. Come end of 2010 and the boulevard will be back with a new look. I too realized that I have become a bangalorean few days ago. I was having a chat with a new team member and she asked me how long have I been in bangalore, to which I replied - just above 5 years. She said, "Oh! then you have settled in bangalore." .. to which i replied....."yerrr..... ummmmm.... i guess so".

    The word "settled" made me realize that I am actually a Bangalorean now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alvin. Yep.
    The scary word: "Settled".
    Man. Almost. There.
    Jeez.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ean maga, ean re - namma bangalorean ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Metro will smooth up a lot of things...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. :(..... its really sad to hear that.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Liked it, loved it, loathed it... Would be great if you let me know!

Popular Posts