55-200mm lens gone :-(

A tragedy befell yesterday morning.

It was around 9AM when I reached home from BTM. Alvin, my friend, and I were supposed to head to Shivasamudram for a photo-trip. I had my camera in my hand with the 55-200 lens attached (as that is how I always kept it in my camera sling-bag) and was checking the battery charge. I then realized that I needed my polarizer filter which was in my old camera bag, on the top of my cupboard.


Without realizing that I had my camera in hand, I tugged at the bag from the top of the shelf. The bag fell and while trying to catch it, I lost control of the camera. It fell on the floor, with the lens and the body separated from each other. I stood motionless.

When sense finally prevailed after a few seconds, I inspected the damage. I tried putting the lens back but it just wouldn't "stick" to the camera - it was always popping out. My heart shrunk. I quickly put on another lens and checked if the camera was OK. Thankfully, the camera switched on, focused, and took pictures.

Although that was partly relieving, I was still saddened because my 55-200mm lens was now no longer functional. Well, at least I couldn't use it much now, could I? That lens cost me about INR 17k! :-(

I had to use my 50mm prime and my measly 18-55mm lenses in the photo-trip. They turned out OK but still I terribly missed having the power to zoom till 200mm! Man, now the Tamron 18-270mm is what I'm aiming for.

I just hope that I don't get nightmares of my 55-200 lens.

Comments

  1. Difficult & Sad days...
    Bhae halcha..saathi cheer up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rahul... Have you insured your kit? Here, I see people, especially who travel frequently, getting their DSLR kits insured against damage, theft, etc. May be it would be a good idea to get the body and the new lens insured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to update that this lens was fixed at the Bangalore Nikon Service centre and is not damaged any more. Sorry I took this long to post this update but it was only recently that I realized that this post might deter my prospective D5000 kit buyers :) So correcting it by way of commenting on the post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Liked it, loved it, loathed it... Would be great if you let me know!

Popular Posts