Change of seasons

The title of this post, "Change of seasons" is a song by one of my favorite rock bands Dream Theater. And with the current ongoings, there couldn't be a more apt title for this post.

Not many know but I was a part of a classic rock band in Bangalore. We called ourselves "Green Room Boxes" - yeah we even had our own blog. Again, not many know that I quit the band just about a week ago.

In GRB (short for "Green Room Boxes"), I used to play the drums. I had a shiny Mapex Q series drum kit which I bought in March 2008, and Zildjian Planet Z cymbals to go with it. In the course of a year and a half, I had added a few more cymbals and accessories to the kit. I was proud of my kit, and we rocked our jam room like crazy when GRB used to practice. Definitely good times. However, for reasons that I do not wish to disclose here, I had to call it quits with GRB. And the last weekend, my Mapex drum set along with its accessories and cybmals were sold.

Why did I sell my drum set? Not because my love for music died; not because I didn't love drumming; not because my kit wasn't good enough. Primarily, it was because drums are not the friendliest of instruments to play, especially in a residential area. Unless, of course, you have your own sound proofed room. Besides, I had moved on to my new love: photography. And in the process, I got my first, my very own Digital SLR camera: the Nikon D5000. And very frankly, I could only afford either one of the two. So, being the photo enthusiast that I was turning into, I chose the DSLR over my drum kit.

I got the camera on Saturday morning, and the next day, my drum set was gone. It was the happiness of welcoming a new family member mixed with the sorrow of letting an old member go. How often we're faced with such emotions, I don't know. But it was hard for me. It still is.

Comments

  1. Blog reply:
    http://sachintewari.blogspot.com/2009/08/nothing-lasts-foreverand-we-both-know.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your drum kit seriously rocked dude, but so does your new kit!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww that's sad bro! But it's life! This is the exact reason why I haven't indulged in keeping a pet dog even though I love them :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Babs.. let's hope I can do justice to the DSLR! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have not seen you drum kit, but i sure like that camera and ur photography skills.. and yes hope u do justice to the camera like u have mentioned above.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Liked it, loved it, loathed it... Would be great if you let me know!

Popular Posts