Love - Not a definition

Prashantee, a dear friend and whom I lovingly call "Boju" which means "Grandmother" in Nepali, helped me come up with this post. Indirectly.

We've been friends for a long time now, Boju and I. We both share a passion for writing, and are pretty close to each other. We've shared our heartaches with each other, and have found warmth in our friendship. She calls me "Nati", which means "Grandson" in Nepali.

She asked me a question about two weeks ago.

"Nati, can you define love?", she asked.

I said I'll try.

"You can take as much time as you want", she said, "but do give me an answer when you get it. Trust me this will help you know exactly what you want from a relationship".

That was the promise she gave with her question.

I thought about the question for a few days. Then as it happens with things, the question found a place in the back of my head from where it was not to be dislodged. Until today.

Today I received my ultra zoom camera back from Rajiv, my friend Harish's younger brother. I came home, and started taking pictures of subjects I had been thinking of for a month. I chanced to take some shots of a wooden figurine in my house. The figurine is about 8 inches tall, and shows an African tribal family, as you can see in the photograph. As an amateur photographer, I tried various lights, including candle light, took photographs in many angles, in many positions. Finally satisfied with my day's clicking, I sat down on my laptop for some post processing.

It was then that I actually noticed the figurine properly for the first time ever. It's strange but I don't know since when I have that figurine with me, or who got it. I picked it up because it was an interesting subject to take pictures of. When I sat down for post processing, it was then that I noticed the serene look on the figures. The father, the mother, the child - the family.

In the figurine, the father has very tenderly, beautifully and lovingly held his beautiful wife and his little child in his arms. The mother, with her eyes closed, leans her head slightly on the father's chest, feeling the warmth of his tender embrace, and as she does this she has the baby lovingly close to her bosom. The child, again with eyes shut, laps up the shower of affection and love from his parents. The figurine is bliss and content personified.

I was so taken aback, and I was so lost when I discovered all this. It made my heart yearn, and I felt a warm rush of blood travelling through my body. This, I thought, was what love was. This was the answer to Boju's question. I figured love could have no definition, it is but a feeling that makes you warm, that makes you content.

The African tribals in the figurine show no signs of the rat race of which we are a part of - for daily survival, for work, for better pay packages, for luxury. They were content with each other, and that, to me, was love.

I closed my eyes, filling myself with the warm, fuzzy feeling that was kind of heady. I had found the answer to Boju's question, and like she promised, an answer to myself about a question I had never asked myself.

(Prashantee is an ardent blogger and blogs at http://maiiya.deviantart.com/)

Comments

  1. Rahul- My Eklauta Nati :)..(one and only Grandson) says that the picture is "grainy" but what I felt is he managed to capture "love" in this pic for the sheer fact that the he was looking at it from behind the lens with the feeling which we can clearly see in the picture..and it complements his definition of love...contentment..warmth and bliss.I don't want to say that u wrote well...or praise your words...because saying that u did a great job with the definition would undermine the reason ...I would just say...The definition had to come from the heart and it did...

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Boju this picture is better, the previous one was noisy.
    And yes, I don't think I can expect people to comment on what I felt. I don't know if I've put my feelings to words correctly and said what I felt.
    All I know is that figurine enlightened me, and I'm never letting it go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading this post, I remembered something that happened in college. A very close friend of ours happened to suddenly fall in love with a girl because he suddenly noticed a very cute "mole" on her face: reminded him of Cindy.
    All the while, we thought the mole was the most obvious factor of her personality. Yeah, that's a definition that came from a heart.

    On a side note, I will "khane-khushee" who that person was, okay Rahul?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! It is quite fascinating how a Human mind is able to come up with so many explanations and ideas from a simple model. The image looks so simple and common to me and yet it has opened flood gates of emotions and imaginations from the author, truly remarkable! In the end, more important than the picture, it's the fact that you could find the reflections of your true inner feelings in that picture that made the difference. I guess we all have our own unique ways to get that! But unless you have that emotion and feeling within you, nothing can make the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. really nice Rauhl.. the way you have put down your words is very well done. The feelings you have described is simply amazing. Really liked it.Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey da the defition of love is really really nice...love unbounded by materialistic boundaries.. really wonder how many of our genertation would feel about our parents if they did not give us wat we wanted.. i guess we all would feel that they do not "love us".. well really put in a deep thought....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Liked it, loved it, loathed it... Would be great if you let me know!

Popular Posts