Diary of Induced Tourism

Ok. I just got back from a 2 week long vacation to Sikkim. Not that I haven't been there before. No, I was practically brought up there. But I had always seen the place, with its gorgeous mountains and beautiful rivers, from a local perspective - and unknowingly, I had just got used to the beauty. So much so that I had almost taken it for granted. This time however, I decided to make it different. I decided to "induce" tourism in me, become a tourist per se, and then tour Sikkim. Also, the purchase of a second hand Ultra Zoom camera helped me in this decision. So off I went, to taste Sikkim Tourism.

For the most part of it, it feels amazingly awkward to be a tourist in a place you've frequented since you were a kid :) But then, feeling and acting like a tourist, with your camera lugged around your neck almost all the time - that's a different feeling altogether. I began perceiving everyday things in a new light and angle, and it actually made me realize what the tourists saw. The amazing beauty that we all just get so accustomed to and forget to revere.

I got to travel to North Sikkim - to Lachen, Lachung, Gurudongmar Lake and Yumthang valley. Then some popular places in Gangtok - places I'd been to since I was a kid I now discovered with a new found interest. I finally travelled to visit Samduptse and "Chaar Dhaam" in South Sikkim. And also a glimpse of Namchi, the district headquarters of South Sikkim.

Although I had plans of visiting Darjeeling, that plan was spoilt thanks to the Gorkhaland agitation in Siliguri. But no worries, next time I hope to visit Darjeeling as the capital of Gorkhaland.

I managed to take in a few mementos with me of the beautiful places, which I was fortunate enough to witness, as photographs. I have uploaded them to my Picasa album. Do go through them. Not that I'm being paid by Sikkim Tourism Ministry to promote Sikkim, but then I sincerely wish that you make at least one trip to these places in your lifetime. It's all totally worth it. And these are the words of a tourist, albeit induced, and not a man who was brought up in Sikkim.

I have edited, painstakingly added descriptions and titles to some chosen photographs and uploaded them to Flickr. You can find them in my Flickr Photostream.

Comments

  1. Hi Rahul… The picture perfect shots captured from your ULTRA ZOOM camera are fantabalous…and your idea of inducing tourism was awesome… you would have outdone your effort of inducing touristic attributes in you by wearing a monkey cap and of course carrying a tumbler ;) [you should have consulted me for the further guidelines]

    EOD the experience isn’t that bad at all…you kind of enjoy being cynosure of all ppl eyes [;)]

    I was also travelling to the remote parts of Sikkim while i was home last diwali, ofcourse for a slightly different reason…volunteering in some rural dev work...I assure you the places were breadth taking and it could even outrun the landscapes of British Columbia even the Swiss Alps (Am I bragging too much about Sikkim hai)

    Last but not the least your copyrighted photographs are surely worth million dollars…$$$$$$$$
    way to go my .....Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you ama :) That suggestion of monkey cap and tumbler came a little late lol maybe next time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bautiful photos Rahul. It's nice to veiw things from all perspectives, it helps understand things better or see things you never have seen before. Seeing the photos makes me want to visit the place myself. Nice work! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kate.. you should definitely visit India and Sikkim .. I'd be your guide :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Liked it, loved it, loathed it... Would be great if you let me know!

Popular Posts