Collective memories

I always wanted to join the Indian Air Force as a fighter pilot. As a kid, that was about the only thing I knew I wanted to do in my life. That was the answer to every grown-up's trademark question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?". I faintly recollect drawing a bird when I was seven years old and thus getting the inspiration to soar high above.

Unfortunately, my poor eyesight never allowed me to try out for fighter pilots. Again, the blame needle will point to my childhood. I was a boorish and a very naughty kid - so naughty that I had to be put away in a boarding school 1200 kms from home :) So for naughty kids, eating green vegetables was always going to be a big problem. And I never had any - and thus my eyesight trouble.

The other reason for my eyesight might be because of my reading habits. I probably would never have picked up reading literature had it not been for my dear friend, Calden Basi. It was he who introduced me to Enid Blyton's wonderful magic world of pixies, gnomes, elves, flying carpets, detectives and mysteries. It was he who showed me how to catch crabs in the little streams of Kalimpong. As 10 year olds, it gets quite fascinating. I spent days and nights reading Enid Blyton's books - practically grew up on them. Finally, switched to Hardy Boys, Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie - that was the soup for my soul in my teens.

I don't know what made me write about these memories - these are some of the sweetest ones I have of my estranged childhood. Of course, there are ones where I spent crying away to myself after my parents would drop me off at the boarding school, getting beat up, examinations, Physical training exercises, etc. etc.

Maybe because the year 2008 has been a sad one worldwide, I was just reflecting on my good childhood memories to make me smile. And they sure didn't fail me - I am smiling as I type this.

Probably I just needed to remind myself that life is but an amalgamation of smiles and sorrows, and the important thing is to let the smiles shine brightly and also to remember the healing warmth that came as every sorrow was eased out of us.

Have a great new year, 2009, everyone. Smile, and share.

Comments

Post a Comment

Liked it, loved it, loathed it... Would be great if you let me know!

Popular Posts