Recall: Vivek Raj Karki

Vivek Raj Karki, SMIT 2000-2004

It was 1995 and my first evening as a hosteler or 'boarder' at St. Augustine's School, Kalimpong. I had just shifted to the school hostel after having stayed with my distant uncle and aunt for close to 7 long years. There I was all alone on a parapet, gloomy, sad and a bit scared, waiting for the evening studies bell to ring. That was when a lanky fellow with Ajay Devgan hairstyle came and asked me, "You're Rahul Pradhan, no? Class 8-D?". I nodded. He introduced himself as Vivek of class 8-B. We shook hands and headed to our study hall, making formal conversation on the way.

From then till now, after almost 15 years, I am proud to say that he has been, and still is, my best friend. Meet Vivek Raj Karki, aka Karki.

It was no coincidence, therefore, that we both landed in the same college - SMIT - to pursue our higher education. And I'm certain you wouldn't be shocked either to learn that we were room-mates in the SMIT hostel. Of course, it helped that the person allotting the room, Mr Ashok Chettri, was Vivek's distant uncle who was then working as a lecturer in SMIT. That was in September, 2000.

One of the first things we did before joining SMIT was to go to Laal Bazaar in Gangtok, and buy two t-shirts which had "School Mates" written on them. One was dark gray, one was light. The day we reached SMIT and had settled somewhat into our room, we wore those t-shirts proudly and went on a tour of the college campus. Many people asked if we were twins - and we only looked at each other and smiled.

The first semester in SMIT and we sent a lot of rumor mills running. Vivek, being the smooth talker that he was, used to spend a lot of time with the female I had a crush on. He was trying to get her to like me, while the rest of the college thought that they were a pair. Yeah, I won't lie but Vivek and I did have some awkward moments during that phase. However, after spending months listening to my non-stop chattering and answering my questions that ate well into his sleeping hours, his hard work paid off and Garima and I became a couple. I think it was only then that he slept well for the first time in months!

First year and we, the entire 'Zitarians' group as we called ourselves, got into a lot of fights (as you probably know by now after reading the other Recalls). And more often than not, it would be Mr Vivek Raj Karki who would be the one spearheading the attacks. We would follow suit and take the poor fellow's "class", making sure that the fellow understood that this was a class that was not to be repeated (wink, wink!).

Like I mentioned before, Vivek knew (and still does) how to persuade people really well. And this talent of his did not discriminate between the sexes. No wonder that many, many times I'd come to my room and find some of the best brains of our engineering batch studying with or tutoring Vivek. Be it theory, or practicals, or programming - you would find only the best of the lot in our room. And it was one such escapade of brilliance that made Vivek and his tutor, one of the toppers of our batch named Prashant Agrawal, miss one of the sessional exams. Why? They both overslept on the day of the exam! And because Vivek interacted so much with so many people, he knew people whose names we would'nt even have heard. From our own batch. But being Vivek's room-mate meant that I was known to them, though!

To really have felt Vivek's presence in the SMIT hostel, one would have had to come during the exam season. That would be "The" time to see Vivek at his best. In the quietness of the exam fever, when one would be looking at the book but instead of studying would be busy day dreaming, a piercing shout would rudely bring one back to the real world. It would be then that one would realize that exams were near, and so was Vivek! For during his break during studies, Vivek had this uncanny habit of screaming, suddenly, at the top of his lungs. Then he would sit and laugh watching the bewildered look on the person he had just shocked. Sometimes, the shouts would be substituted by songs - ones that you probably heard once and forgot all about. However, the songs and shouts served their purpose and served it well - they always got us to study!

I will also never forget rushing Vivek to the Central Referral Hospital, Tadong, Gangtok when he fell ill because of food poisoning. And rush we had to at 8 o'clock at night from Majhitar to Gangtok. Trust me, 8 o'clock in Majhitar is equivalent to 12 o'clock in Bangalore. And add to that the time factor of 7-8 years ago, and you'll know what I mean. So, me and another friend, Amit, accompanied Vivek in the college ambulance to Gangtok. Midway, I remember Vivek waking up from his stretcher and telling me, "Please ask them to turn off the siren - it's not letting me sleep!". Off they did, and it was a peaceful ride thereafter for sure.

There are many, many, many incidents if I had to write them down. But because a lot of them are censored items, I dare not post them here! More so because Vivek is getting married to his college sweetheart, Nancy, this month. So if I publish those stories here and if Nancy reads this, then I run the risk of having ruined my best friend's wedding!

Karki, it's been a great ride so far, and I hope this ride just gets better. See you at your wedding in Imphal, my friend!

Comments

  1. I thought that the sessional mishap was a secret :-). A nice recall about Vivek -- a friend whom I too cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful read rahul.
    give my best to karki...we spent some good times in class 11-12 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Calden, will definitely pass on your regards

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's great....you have brought the best what each one of us have...every one is special...i do look forward to other recalls...

    khagen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recall man... I do remember rushing into fights because someone somewhere said something to our "Karki" :P....
    Also, how can i forget the craziness during exam times always waking me up from my sleep with his maddening shouts :)
    One incident i would have definitely liked to mention but dare not as he has not talked to us for abt a mnth cause of that...and i donot want him to get to that state again...lolz... I am sure ppl would have already recollected that :P
    Well, u have been a great fren since i have known u and am sure we will continue to be so dude :)
    U taking the big plunge in a mnths time so Wishing u n Nancy a Happy Married life ahead...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Khagen: Thank u mama.. of course many more to come - our gang was so huge what to do! ;)

    @Amit: Yeah man, I purposely left that and a lot of other incidents out :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rahul.. u forgot the n number of trips u guys used to make to my shop before we joined college.. :)
    Vivek has always been a very good friend and brother to me.. an agony aunt for me..
    i do miss the time during the initial days of college when i used to spend so much more time with him than you..
    Even today he calls me up to find out how am i doing.. which really touches my heart..
    Wish you and nancy the very best in life..direct dil se :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. One morning in October 2000 as I was walking down to the 3rd floor of our hostel along with Bishal, I saw a guy in his black shorts with the headphones.... and I thought to myself.... there goes a typical wannabe :P As this wannabe passed by us, Bishal told me "this guy is a killer - a lady killer" Only later did i find out that the lady killer's name was Vivek Raj Karki :)

    Well, as the days passed by i got to know the killer well and became good frens with him. Shared the happy times and the sad times. I remember a day in college when he has cried along with me. Thanks for being there buddy.

    I have had to fight with lots of guys in college just coz someone stared at him, pushed him etc etc lol.. good old fun time...

    And who can forget the "roping" incident. Man that was one hell of an incident lol

    We have come a long way, yet there is a longer way to go. Can't believe he's getting married in couple of days... catch you on the 11th buddy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Garima: Yeah, who can forget the numerous visits to you shop? :P

    @Alvin: As always, awesome comment :) Roping incident I didn't mention purposely here for obvious reasons :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. kaminey brothers and dear frens, u ppl hold a special place in my heart. Each new day and each dangerous night spent with you guys be it either in the narrow lanes of SAS, or around the broad(pun intended)malroad, or the wild corridors of SMIT,or the civilised after life of bangalore and elsewhere, i will always cherish them. Thanks Rahul for remembering me in your own special way - u have always been a great fren. Cheers guys - Vivek R Karki

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice and good recall. It's true that all our friends holds a very special place in our hearts for some reasons and for what and how they are :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. :) Thank you Ashok.. keep reading, and keep commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome Nati...so well written :)!!! Brings on a lot of smiles...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm Vivek Raj Karki, Not the one you're talking about. I'm from Kathmandu, Nepal. I've read your blog time and time again, since the first time I google-ed my own name ( that ws three years ago). I'm currently a undergrad in banking and finance in United States. Your blog has always been interesting to me, and I feel very happy that there is Vivek Raj Karki somewhere who is a very good friend and admired by most.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Liked it, loved it, loathed it... Would be great if you let me know!

Popular Posts